Friday 2 November 2012

House Music is a Feeling

What is House Music?

How does one even begin to answer, what is house?! It would probably take forever trying to explain this.

Actually, that's not that case. It's simple, House is a feeling! Yep there you have it. House is a feeling!

 We can further elaborate on this but the most important thing to remember is that House is a Feeling.

I've recently read an article about the origins of House Music, in a City of Chicago in the USA and it finding a home is South Africa. Who knew that this garage Sound would evolve and travel the world so much and knock right inside homes and hearts of millions around the world...

I guess it's true that another man's silver is another man's Gold.

In Chicago, where House Music originated, House Music is more associated to dance, clubbing, nightlife or partying in general.

Where as in South Africa, where House really found a home, after being absorbed in the midst of Apartheid times and localised to genres like Bubble-Gum then later Kwaito.
House has a more deeper and sacred meaning here, it's more of a cultural thing, a symbol of love, hope and unity but most importantly it's where people of South Africa document their stories and share emotions with one another through sound.

Experts may argue this, but on a personal perspective "I fee House Music is the original Sound Of South Africa".
Trace back into our rich history, which is extremely diverse, then try and pick out that one sound that has fair traces of a large and identifiable following and still remains dominant to date, to prove this.

The whole point around this background analysis and what house means to us, is to make it visible that house has an emotional attachment to the people of South Africa.
Its a combination of the struggle of freedom and the victory of being free. The two most important phases of our history, there's a link to house music.

I remember, where my love for house music started, back in the early 2000s, my first track I fell in love with went like:
"So tell me how do you do
Finally I meet you
You don't know what I've been through,
waiting and wondering about you
I had a dream my trip would end at you,
and now I know paradise" -
a track by "Kings of Tomorrow - Finally" sang by Julie Mcnight...

I remember it like it was yesterday, was very young at the time hearing it, we had hired a taxi after school had closed for December holidays. That's the day I was hitched!!!

This Music has since kept growing and growing, in me ,up until this day...
Each song I've ever loved, has a memory of where I was and paints an imagine of how my life was at that time.
 Yeah, I can say House has helped me relive past memories of my life...

Again to dispute house music is sacred and holds a cultural status in SA would be negligent.
Let's just tap into religion a little. What do religious and cultural songs normally have in content? Don't they Preach and promise better days, good morals, love, peace, hope, unity, the love of God, serving your country and never contains profanity or hate speech?.

Doesn't house have all these elements?

Doesn't House serve the very same purpose as any other religious song?
Yes, it maintains its dance texture to honour the origins of the genre, but on an objective analysis one can agree House is as sincere and Godly has any other religious song.
Quick recap... have you ever heard a House Song degrading women or promoting violence? Or anything negative in general... Now think carefully, is there? Haha don't think so... "House is has Godly as any other religious song" I repeat!!!

As the influence of House Music grows creating a subdivision of refined groupings of House such as , Deep House, Tech House, Soulful etc.
More meaning is being given to House in South Africa, as it now combines different elements derived from other genres of music. E.g a person who loves Jazz can find a song that can match his/her taste within house, as there are house tracks that are created from Jazz and as much as they are house tracks but they consist largely of jazz elements giving it a Jazzy feel to it.

House is actually the one Genre that can flex to accommodate any other genre in the world. House can even tell a story and raises deep hidden emotion without even vocals, just using instruments alone...
Isn't that amazing?!

House is a feeling. It lives within each and everyone of us, it's just waiting for you to cross its path and rise from within you.
I've got a younger brother, who's now 17 years of age, has never been to a night club, doesn't attend parties, isn't on social media, only just recently he's got a blackberry which is his only tool that connects him to people outside from home.
But I can tell you that's he's one of the greatest Deep House collector I've ever came across. He's my idol and he knows more house than myself and any of my Dj friends I can think of.

How's what possible?
How does a genre oppressed in terms of Radio airplay in SA, make its was deep inside ekasi?
How does house make its way to a young boy from the township, who doesn't see any deep house on national TV, doesn't have money to surf the net for this, doesn't party and doesn't have a single loophole I can think of where the exposure may have came from...

Are you gonna dispute that house is a spiritual thing?
Are you gonna deny they the power of house music?

Falling in love with house is just like falling in love with a person. There's invisible forces of attraction that connects you to that person spiritually joining you under intense chemistry and creates an involuntary feeling of love.

Are you gonna deny that House is a feeling?

If House found its way into my soul from a very tender age , made its way to my 17 year old brother with no connection to the real world and all the other passionate souls across the world... There's no guarantee that this feeling of House music will never find you.

House Music is a Feeling... A feeling that lives in all of us...
"House Music will always Love you back"

________________________________________________
This article was written by L. Buthelezi (known as @DOGG_DBN in the entertainment scene). Bless.


Ezase Afro

0837361628
Twitter: @AfroTainmentSA

3 comments: